Who doesn’t like pancakes? Depending on the country you are in, you might call them pancake, hotcakes, griddlecake, or flapjack. Basically they are a flat cake, generally thin and round/ With lots of different recipes they are prepared from a starch-based batter that may contain eggs, milk and butter. Generally, they are cooked on a hot surface such as a griddle or frying pan, often frying with oil or butter. A decent breakfast staple can be simple healthy pancakes.
Again, it is all about the country you are in. In England, pancakes are often unleavened and resemble a crêpe. In North America, a leavening agent is used (typically baking powder) creating a thick fluffy pancake.
A crêpe is a thin Breton pancake of French origin cooked on one or both sides in a special pan or crepe maker to achieve a lacelike network of fine bubbles.
A well-known variation of pancake which originated from southeast Europe is a palačinke. A thin moist pancake fried on both sides and filled with jam, cheese cream, chocolate, or ground walnuts. You can use whatever fillings you want, sweet or savoury—can also be used.
You can have fun with pancakes to by switching it up. Just add fruit like strawberries, apples, blackberries, and bananas. Any fruit you add is delicious, tasty and healthy.
Simple healthy pancakes recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup dextrose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- 50g butter, melted and cooled
- Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the eggs, vanilla and milk together, add to the dry ingredients. Fold in the butter but don’t stir too much.
- Grease a pan and place on a moderate heat.
- When ready spoon batter onto the pan. Cook until bubbles form on top of the pancake, then flip over and cook the other side. Serve with butter or sprinkle with dextrose and berries.
Check out these other recipes for Pancakes. There are plenty of good simple healthy pancakes recipes that you can try. If you want more pancake recipes then try Pancake Recipes: Easy and from Scratch, available from Amazon.